Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Man's best friend ...

This story actually begins back in July when I was at girls camp with our ward. I spent a full week up there and was excited to get home. When I walked in the door there was my family all looking at with guilty eyes and I had the feeling that I knew why. Yep, sure enough I look out the back door and there is this UGLY black puppy staring at me. The only thing I could think of was, "get this dog out of here". After much coaxing, and promises I knew would never be kept, I finally agreed to let the dog stay. I never really liked "Ellie" she was big and just so STUPID. I'm not kidding, she would come up to you and just plow into you with her big ugly head, and I just never grew very attached to her.

Jeff loves Ellie, and thinks she is just the greatest dog ever, and she is for the most part if you like BIG, STUPID dogs. The last week or so I had noticed Ellie was starting to be mean to Joey, and Jeff trys to tell me that all Ellie is trying to is play and Joey is just to ornery. Whatever!

So on Saturday night Matty was petting Ellie, and she just turned and snapped at him, WHAT! STUPID DOG! Luckily she just got the tip of his finger, and didn't break the skin. So back outside she goes and Jeff trys once again to justify this, but is having a hard time. So on Sunday morning Jeff gives STUPID,oops I mean Ellie another shot at coming in the house. Everything is fine, and the bam out of the blue she snaps at Taylor, and unfortunately gets his face. So Jeff knows what he has to do with his best friend, and it make us all real sad (Except for me of course, I was so happy however I was able to hide my happiness and put on a sad supportive front for Jeff:)

I know, this sounds like such a sad thing, but on Sunday before Jeff got rid of Ellie, just to make sure I would let him still have a dog, he went and bought a new one and let me just say, she is precious. We named her Sophie, she is a ten week old yellow lab and she is just super cute. I hope that she will be a good pet for us and that we will get to enjoy her for many years.

8 comments:

Chastina said...

I hope this puppy is a great family pet for you guys!

Scottkids said...

Aw...she is a doll!

Anonymous said...

In memory of my dog...Ellie was a great dog. From the day she found us until the time of her unfortunate demise she really never was a problem. Ellie was easy to train, she didnt bark unless the neighbor was on his roof, she LOVED playing with the kids, she LOVED me and was so excited when I cam home from work, she slept outside every night without ever whining or destroying anything, she didnt chew on anything at all - ever - (well, except for a couple of the chickens, that was sad) - and to be honest, Ellie was as loyal to me as any dog could ever be to any human, ever...I do not beleive Ellie meant to bite Matty or attack Taylor, something in her just snapped, with Matty the bite was just a split second, it was a hard bite, but she knew it was wrong and you could tell she felt bad, so I thought maybe it was just one of those dog moments, maybe Matty did something to her and we just didn't see it...but then Sunday morning I was in the computer room with Taylor and Ellie, Taylor was just petting her and out of the blue Ellie attacked, it sounded like she was in the middle of a huge dog fight, biting Taylor's face and putting a couple of deep cuts on Taylor's forehead, more like puncture wounds - but they were deep and bled a lot. The whole thing lasted maybe 2 or 3 seconds, and when it was over, Ellie looked at me with this look of "oh crap, what did I do, was that me?". I beleive now, and always will, that Ellie was not in her right mind, of course I was mad, and I kicked her butt, but it was like she was a different dog for that short time...she felt terrible. When I went out to play with her Sunday night, she was still feeling so bad - she didnt want to really play, she was so sad because she knew what she did, and if she could have talked at that moment, she would have said "I'm so sorry, I dont know what that was, please help me with this". But I had made my choice in that fateful 2-3 seconds, my kids were more important than the best dog I had ever had - Ellie wasn't safe for the kids and she had to go.

It does sound bad that I got the new puppy before Ellie was gone - but I had to do something in order for me to be able to take Ellie in on Monday morning. I know that Nicki loved Ellie too, as much as she says Ellie was a big stupid dog, Nicki did love her - the problem there was that Ellie loved me more than she loved Nicki, so there was a little jealousy there...that's what it had to be, because there were many times I would watch Nicki play with Ellie and laugh about her playing with the kids, and call her "good baby" - but then Nicki would be the first one to point out that the dog stinks...but there was still lover there!

I just wanted to set the record straight - lets all have a moment of silence - if any of you have anything to say about Ellie, feel free to leave a comment below. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Wow Jeff you could write a book. I think you are in the wrong business. I had to take a break from reading, we know your going to miss Ellie but you will love Sophie. Jeff I think your okay and remember your mother-in-law will read anything you have to write.

Ryan and Megan said...

I have to agree. Black labs are the DUMBEST dogs around. We had one for a few years and she would run full speed into the closed garage door, get up dazed shake it off and run again into the garage door. I do not miss that dumb dog one bit. but Ryan on the other hand is differrent. I think there is just something about a man and his dog-

Maurina said...

Scary! Your new puppy is adorable!

The Warner Family said...

Holy Crap, Jeff! Just so you know, your wonderful dog ripped up about half of our drip system in the back yard, and ate part of the chair my lovely mother made for me! It does not surprise me that she went for your kids head, she ran out of things to chew up in our yard! Our dog would never do anything like that! He would never eat a chicken, rip up stuff in your yard, howl at passing trains, or attack your kids! Well, he might attack you, but that is understandable considering you are full of it, and well, just a little strange!!! You do know that dogs can sense these things, right?! I think the new puppy is adorable. Send her over, we will have Zeb teach her how to be the best dog ever! Haha! Rest in peace Ellie!

Mich said...

It sounds like I've missed some exciting moments at your house. The new puppy looks cute, hopefully the new chickens in the spring will be safe.