Sunday, September 28, 2008

Creepy Crawly!

It all started on a cold dark night with the rain pouring down, and the lightning the only light in the sky...
Not really. But it should have been (plus I always wanted to start a blog entry that way!) Anyways Jeff and I had gone down to a garage sale on river bottoms road, and on the way back as we're driving along, I see something in the road...
"Holy Crap did you see that spider in the road?" I ask Jeff. I know your all thinking, "girl you are cuckoo there is no way you would see a spider in the middle of the road while driving", I said I was sure of it so Jeff backs the truck up. We start backing up, and right there in the middle of the road is a leaf, and I'm thinking Oh great, I thought a leaf was a spider, now I look really dumb. I promise Jeff that that's not what I saw and he back up some more, and there it is in the middle of river bottoms road, a GIANT TARANTULA! I know! I have lived in Utah for "barely" 29 years, and have never in my life seen a real life tarantula. Except for Jeff's pet tarantula, who he threw at me once and made me pee my pants...true story.

My thought was, we've got to catch it. One of the boys in ward is doing a bug collection in school and he would be the coolest kid in the class if he brought in a tarantula. So we look around and we find a popcorn box in the back of the truck, and Jeff gets out to catch the spider. At this point, I am already in the backseat of the truck, for fear of losing my life because of the spiders massive fangs. We head home, one of the most uneasy rides of my life, with my husband taunting me with the popcorn box.

We take it to my neighbors to see if he still needs bugs for his collection, and sadly he's done with that project, so we're left with this crazy huge spider.
We take it home to show the boys, and they of course thought it was the coolest thing ever. They even took it to a few neighbors to show it off.

After everyone has their fun with it Jeff and all the kids pile in to the truck to go set it free, but not before Jeff has a chance to chase me around the yard with a popcorn box. Here's the picture, imagine this, me running around screaming as Jeff chases me with a box of popcorn, the neighbors were probably thinking that I must have major issues with popcorn, What a JERK! (I really do love you honey, even when you cross the line!)

So now I know, the story's they say of tarantulas living in Utah are true, even if you've never seen one just know their out there. (Creepy I know!)

I am going to post some pictures now, I will start out slow with the not so scary ones just in case some of my loyal friends have a weak stomach when it comes to spiders, but you have to see this sucker!


The last picture with Taylor playing with it shows you it's true size. Gross huh!?

13 comments:

jaime said...

That is just wrong! I am never going outside again

Melanie said...

Oh nasty!! So scary!! I would have made Travis catch it too...I don't know who would have been more scared...me or him!

Erica said...

That really is super gross,Nikki. I love the way you tell the story, though. So funny.

Brad.Lindsey.Lexi.Rowen said...

I really, really HATE spiders! I am never going to walk in the river bottoms again. Oh, I think I need a shower to wash off all the grossness. My friends had one as a pet too and I wouldn't even go in the house when it was out of the cage. I was relieved when someone sat on it one night and killed it. See there is some use for a drunk person. :)

The Warner Family said...

Need I say more... GROSS!

Maurina said...

I would have backed up the car to drive OVER the spider! Yuck!

You are a very brave soul to be in the same area as that spider.

Anonymous said...

So we need to look out for spiders as well as the snakes? lol
Lions and tigers and bears oh my!

Mich said...

Seeing as how I was afraid of a little bit of fur I don't think that I need to mention how I feel about spiders.

Johnson said...

Drive by my house..I dare you...it is now for sale just because of this story. I will never be the same and I think I just threw up in my mouth!!! (and thanks..i said a swear word when i saw that picture!!)

Unknown said...

How disgusting! Well, think of it this way, it's an early Halloween treat for you! If you'd have kept it, you could have used it as a decoration for your yard.

Oooooohhhh, scaaaaaaarrrrrrry!!!!

Paige and Jason said...

That is sick. Spiders are my nemisis.

Scottkids said...

Thats disgusting!!! Thats the one you were telling me about!

Tami Hatton Winters said...

Oh...NUH UH!!! That is just creepy wrong! I would have wet my pants and thrown a fit! I'm not joking! Where was that?